Friday, October 16, 2015

Antiviral Approach to Meniere's - Month 8 Update


I've now been on Valacyclovir for 8 months and doing great.  I started with the 3 times a day for 3 weeks, then 2 a day for 3 weeks and now on the maintenance dose of 1 pill a day.  I've had a couple minor setbacks but overall feel back to "normal."


I reduced the number of John of Ohio's supplements I was taking due to having my first ever experience with kidney stones (may have been caused by the number of JOH supplements I was taking or the Valacyclovir...either way I'm now doing well only taking two of the JOH supplements daily).  The only side affect I've noticed with taking the Valacyclovir is that I now get UTI's every few months.  My doctor continues to monitor my kidney and liver function with blood draws every 6 months to ensure there is no damage from the extended use of the prescription. 


A trigger for me is definitely gluten.  I'm now totally gluten free which was a major lifestyle change but it has helped tremendously.  Now if I dine out and there happens to be gluten in something I immediately get the brain fog, dizziness, headache and my bad ear starts to feel full.  I'm eating organic foods as much as possible, using essential oils and still seeing my chiropractic doctor...but have cut my visits down to just once every 8 weeks. 


I'm so happy to be able to go to the grocery store and not need to park by the cart return to grab a shopping cart in order to get into the store without falling.  It really is about the small things in life that we so easily take for granted.

Knock on wood...everything is going well!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sara -- are you still doing well on the anti-virals? thanks for posting about this....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jed! Still doing remarkable well on the anti-virals. No vertigo attacks!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sara - I just found your blog. I've suffered from Menieres for 14 years now, but just started experiencing vertigo this year and unfortunately all the other symptoms (tinnitus, hearing loss, fullness and brain fog) have also increased significantly. My ENT has never suggested anti-virals and I've been researching them extensively. Have you found that they have helped only with vertigo, or have also helped your other symptoms? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tracy. I took acyclavir 2000 units daily for 2 weeks. About year and a half later, took follow up, 1000 daily for 1 week. I went over 12 years with no attacks, no brain fog. Ate and drank anything I wanted. Recently had toxicity to muscle relaxer, which also triggered menieres flare up. I have been taking 1000 daily and almost back to normal. It did not help with hearing loss or tinnitus, but believe it may have if started sooner!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails