Wednesday, November 5, 2014

TMJ, TMD and Meniere's


I've said this before but I truly love my upper cervical chiropractic doctor. Unlike medical doctors who seem quick to get you in and out and write a script I feel as though she's genuinely concerned about my health and what is causing my issues. Each visit she spends at least 30-45 minutes with me going over all symptoms and possible triggers. Although she has been able to resolve several of my symptoms (fullness, tinnitus, and vertigo) I have at times slight dizziness. In reviewing my symptoms she noticed that my dizziness increases with stress. At my last appointment she asked if I had any issues with TMJ. I stated that I have never had any popping or locking of my jaw, nor do I grind my teeth but I do clench my jaw when under stress.

I had no clue that several TMJ/TMD symptoms are similar to Meniere's http://www.midwestheadaches.com/symptoms.vertigo.asp

She asked me to open my mouth. When I did she stated my lower jaw moves slightly to the right (my affected ear is the right ear) I had lots of dental work done (braces) in adolescence which may be the cause of the jaw being off alignment. Of course as I’ve stated before, Brian is a skeptic but I told him when I recently went to a new dentist and at my first exam he also stated my jaw opens to the right. When looking in the mirror it is very obvious that my lower jaw moves to the right when opening my mouth.


During my last visit the doctor massaged the outside of my jaw area and while she pushed on the joint asked me to open my mouth. I was in tears from the pain and could barely open my mouth as she was applying pressure but have never previously had jaw pain in my life. She massaged the facial muscles on the outside then massaged the muscle on the inside of my cheek. After she was done I had such a relaxed feeling. She will now focus on realigning my jaw.


1 comment:

  1. It’s nice to know that you have great doctor to look out for you, and that’s she’s genuinely concerned about your health. With that kind of professional to back your health up, I hope you are no longer having problems with your jaw now and all other sorts of pain for that matter. Take care, Sara!


    Cynthia Bowers @ Bay Area TMJ and Sleep Center

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails