Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Become Your Own Health Advocate: Living with Meinere's Disease


I strongly believe that you need to be your own health advocate. My family physician has roughly 1,000 patients so as much as I think she’s great she doesn’t have the capacity to research and investigate each patient’s issues. Last week after the ENT told me that I more than likely have Meniere’s disease I started researching online. There is no cure for the disease but several things a person can do to treat the symptoms. I also spent time researching several cases studies online about the disease.

I talked to Brian and told him that I could handle hearing loss and tinnitus but I can’t handle the vertigo. In addition to the low salt diet I found several online forums for people with Meniere’s. There is a list of natural supplement’s referred to as the “John of Ohio” Meniere’s regimen. I’ve started taking a few of these supplements in hopes of some relief.

In several of my online searches of case studies for Meniere’s disease I found Upper Cervical Chiropractic care was beneficial to people with Meniere’s. This is totally different from traditional chiropractic as it does NOT involve twisting and popping. You can read the article HERE.

Another website stated the following:

What causes Meniere’s Disease?

I’ll start with a study from the Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy 2000; 30 (12) titled Cervicogenic Dizziness: A Review of Diagnosis and Treatment. Here is a quote: "Cervicogenic dizziness is most often associated with flexion-extension injuries and has been reported in patients with severe cervical arthritis, herniated cervical disks, and head trauma." In other words, with a head or neck trauma your neck can misalign and cause dizziness. Another study by Bogduk, a well-known chiropractic author of many studies reported that monkeys injected with anaesthetic into dorsal roots of upper cervical vertebrae to C3 had balance problems. In other words, the nervous system in the upper neck is highly related to our balance.


The medical community currently believes Meniere’s disease is caused from an overproduction of fluid in the inner ear. That could very well be the case too.


I found a handful of recommended doctors in Florida who specialize in Upper Cervical care. Luckily one is only one hour away. I had my consultation with her last week along with x-rays of my spine. This was so informative and I’m thankful that I found her! My spine did indeed show previous trauma. My spine is not curved like a normal spine. My spine is straight. My axis is turned up and to the right and the vertebra below is twisted left. So many indicators and the right side of my body is the most reactive – I’m not able to turn my head to the right as easily as the left. I’m not able to lift my right leg up as easily as my left…little unforeseen things until you really put it all together. The adjustment was light pressure behind my ear to the point that it felt as though she didn’t do anything. Once I stood up she retested a few things with amazing results. For instance there was a knot in my lower back that was gone, the brain fog I was experiencing was gone and 10 minutes after the visit I felt the affected ear draining. I will have to go for a couple visits a week to start off with until my body trains itself to stay in the proper alignment but good results so far. Feeling very optimistic.


During my second visit to the chiro she asked if my doctor had ever mentioned Bell's Palsy to me.  She stated that my left eye droops as well as the right corner of my mouth.  I indicated to her that my doctor hasn't but a year ago when I was under a lot of stress Brian and I started to notice the eye droop.  One more thing to mention to my doctor on my next visit. 
 

You have to be own best health advocate. I don’t want to be put on a bunch of medications. I want to be able to treat my symptoms naturally. Hopefully through the upper cervical chiropractic care and natural supplements I will be able to do so. 

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails